Subject: Re: [PATCH (version C) 1/2] gitweb: Prepare for splitting gitweb

From: "Alejandro R. Sedeño" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 14:08:12 -0500

On 2/1/2011 11:50 AM, Jakub Narebski wrote:
> Prepare gitweb for being split into modules that would be installed
> in gitweblibdir, by default alongside gitweb in 'lib/' subdirectory.
> 
> Gitweb would search first in 'lib/' subdirectory from where it is
> installed, via
> 
>   use lib __DIR__.'/lib';
> 
> (This allow for tests to work with source version of gitweb without
> changes.)  Then it searches in $(gitweblibdir) directory (set during
> build time), by default "$(gitwebdir)/lib", via
> 
>   use lib "++GITWEBLIBDIR++";
> 
> "++GITWEBLIBDIR++" is set to appropriate value during build time
> (generating gitweb.cgi).  This allows to select where to install
> gitweb modules via 'gitweblibdir' build time configuration variable

I would personally prefer to see this path taken, as it seems the most
flexible and would fulfill a use case I have.

I maintain a build of git in an AFS volume at MIT. One of its uses is
symlinking to the current gitweb.cgi to instantly deploy a gitweb in a
shared hosting environment (example: http://git.scripts.mit.edu/).

__DIR__ would point to the directory containing a user symlink to
gitweb, which would allow users to add their own libraries, while
++GITWEBLIBDIR++ would allow the standard gitweb libraries to be hosted
at a common path without placing additional burdens on the user at
upgrade time.

-Alejandro