Subject: Re: Re: "git add -u" broken in git 1.7.4?

From: Eric Raible <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 17:25:31 -0800

On 11:59 AM, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> I actually do not mind too much myself if all commands that can take
> pathspecs consistently defaulted to "full-tree" pathspec given no
> pathspec.  But if we were to go that route, everybody should join their
> voice to defend that decision when outside people say "in 1.8.0 'git grep'
> run from a subdirectory shows matches from all the irrelevant parts of the
> tree; with all the cruft its output is unreadable". I won't be the sole
> champion of such a behaviour when I do not fully believe in it.

IFUC this shouldn't affect any (correctly written) scripts,
and so the only downside is that (when run in a subdir) commands
that are currently spelled:

	git xxx

would with this change need to be spelled:

	git xxx .

One advantage of this approach is that one's fingers would
learn the "only this dir" two char sequence very quickly.

So FWIW, I will do my best to help defend such a decision.