Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH 0/3] Thinning the git toplevel directory

From: Piotr Krukowiecki <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 01:10:36 +0100

W dniu 18.02.2011 10:25, Jonathan Nieder pisze:
> Thanks again for both of your help.  I've put up an updated series at
> 
>  git://repo.or.cz/git/jrn.git flatten-source

Thanks, I like the idea of cleaning the working tree.

I'm not really happy with current layout. In general it is hard
to find anything. Usually I can do "grep term category". In this case
it's not possible because there are no categories. Sources, tests, 
build scripts, objects, user and tech docs are all mixed with each other
and placed in (almost) random locations.

My suggestions - put each category in their own dir/name space:

- sources - developer related files you can hack 

- technical/developer documentation like format descriptions, 
  coding guidelines etc.

- end user documentation like command documentation, howtos, faqs etc

- build result - objects, final binaries, generated documentation etc 
  The advantage besides unclutterting is possibility to have sources on
  read-only medium.

- test sources, probably with test scripts

- build scripts where possible, for example cat-texi.perl,
  install-doc-quick.sh etc

- leave important documentation in top level: 
  * "readme" - introduction/index of repository 
  * "install" - installation instructions,
  * "news" - what's new in this release
  * license etc

The categories may be split into more subdirs if needed.
Some other top directories are of course also needed.

> Changes since the series sent to the list:
> 
>  - put headers in libgit/ with the source files.  I don't
>    know what I was thinking before.

I'd either keep all headers with sources, or put all headers in a separate
directory structure.

As for other changes in jrn.git:

- no need for git.c in top dir - if one wants to hack git then git.c
  is not enough, and the other people don't need it.

- using links is not portable, not all file systems support them
  (the RelNotes link)

Just my .02c

-- 
Piotr Krukowiecki