Subject: Re: cvsimport still not working with cvsnt

From: Guy Rouillier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 22:14:26 -0500

On 2/22/2011 7:42 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Martin Langhoff<[email-masked]>  writes:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 6:08 PM, Junio C Hamano<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>>> Even though I don't deeply care about what CVSNT does...
>> ...
>>> Does anybody know why?  Only to make things incompatible, perhaps? ;-)
>>
>> A brief googling around shows that it also stores it in the Windows registry.
>
> Yes, I saw that too.  I actually also got the impression that registry is
> the primary location for cvsnt (hence I suspect .cvs/cvspass support might
> be secondary and would not be surprised if it were sub-par).

There may perhaps be a misunderstanding of CVSNT.  CVSNT is a 
multi-platform client and server.  Both parts can run on many platforms, 
including Windows, Linux, and Solaris.  I don't use Macs so don't know 
about them.

Use of HOME/.cvs/cvspass is not secondary or sub-par.  On any platform 
other than Windows, HOME/.cvs/cvspass is the standard place that CVSNT 
stores repository passwords.  And on Windows, you can optionally tell it 
to store repository passwords in HOME/.cvs/cvspass instead of the 
registry.  I have my Windows configured that way for consistency with my 
numerous Linux accounts.

The whole reason I resurrected this 2 year old topic is that we are 
trying to migrate from CVSNT on *Linux* to git.

Thanks.

-- 
Guy Rouillier