Subject: Snipping on this list (Was: Re: [PATCHv2 3/3] git-add: rename -u to -a)

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 10:05:08 +0100

Miles Bader venit, vidit, dixit 28.02.2011 09:53:
> Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]> writes:
>> And would you please try and follow our netiquete here? I had promised
>> myself not to respond any more, but see how I'm still forgiving. Try and
>> deserve it :)
> 
> I'm confused; how am I "not following netiquete"?  It was an honest
> question...

Well, we're trying to cut as little as possible here. In particular,
don't just include one single line, taking it completely out of context.
Even more particularly, don't cut away the paragraph leading to a
conclusion when you're responding that conclusion - in this case that
paragraph would have ansered your question already. (And I don't think
I'm saying this the first time, but I'm used to it - I have little kids...).

We do cut patches when we respond to a commit message only (and the
response is not about the implementation), or hunks of a patch when
they're not related to the response.

As a general guideline, a reader should be able to understand the
response without looking up the post you are responding to (but may have
to read up on a longer thread). When in doubt, err on the lenient side
(less cutting), and make your MUA display quotes nicely (conversation
view, quotecollapse, ...).

And don't cull cc, don't break the thread. (You haven don't that here, I
do appreciate that, thanks!).

Cheers,
Michael