Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH] commit notes workflow

From: Chris Packham <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 20:01:56 +1300

On 02/03/11 10:59, Jeff King wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 04:58:22PM +0100, Johan Herland wrote:
>> Maybe we should use a slightly more verbose separator (i.e. more 
>> unlikely to trigger false positives). As you say, we already have to 
>> watch out for "---" because of "am", but that only applies to projects 
>> that _use_ "am" (i.e. mailing-list-centric projects like git.git and 
>> the Linux kernel). Other projects (e.g. github-centric projects or most 
>> centralized "$dayjob-style" projects) seldom or never use "am" at all, 
>> so I wouldn't expect those developers think of "---" as "special" in 
>> any way.
>>
>> What about using something like "--- Notes ---" instead?
> 
> Yeah, it is true that many git users will never care about the
> patch-through-mail workflow. And I think these days that is OK, because
> rebase will take care to keep their commit message intact even if it
> doesn't format well in a "format-patch | am" pipeline.
> 
> I really wanted to keep it short and natural, though. Because eventually
> I'd like to have this on all the time via a config option, and I don't
> want to see "--- Notes ---" in every commit that doesn't have notes. But
> I _do_ want to be able to quickly say "oh, let me make a note on this"
> and just add a quick separator.

<bikesheding>
What about "#---"? Satisfies the quick to type and is a lot less likely
to appear in commit messages. Not sure about the implications of finding
that string before the commit message is stripped.
</bikesheding>