Subject: Re: how to list commits on branch since last merge

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 10:39:55 +0100

Jay Soffian venit, vidit, dixit 08.03.2011 10:35:
> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 3:48 AM, Michael J Gruber
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Have you tried:
>>
>> git rev-list --ancestry-path --left-right foo...bar
>>
>> If the ">" commits are the ones that you want you only have to wait for
>> the "--right-only" option which is cooking in pu. And grep '^>' for now ;)
> 
> Ah. The rev-list man page entry on --ancestry-path only talks about
> using it with '..', so I didn't even try it with the symmetric diff
> operator ('...').

I understood --ancestry-path only after looking at revision.c, where
there's talk about "bottom commits", which gave me the right hint
(because I've been messing with the walker lately).

> 
> That said, seems it would be useful to have an easy way to get to the
> merge which has a merge-base as one of its parents. Maybe even a
> generic way to find all commits which have a particular parent. I
> think rev-list --parents | grep is the only way to do that today.

I had a patch for that but it was shot down because of the "grep"
workaround:

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/157636

Maybe I should try again...

Michael