Subject: Re: Q about the date format in "git commit --date=..." and such

From: Dirk Süsserott <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 20:20:57 +0100

Am 08.03.2011 19:51 schrieb Andreas Schwab:
> Jeff King<[email-masked]>  writes:
>
>> Why would you be resetting the date but _not_ taking ownership? Maybe
>> a reasonable situation for that exists, but I couldn't think of one.
>
> If you are already the author it's not so obvious that you have to reset
> authorship in order to reset the date.  Also, if you are the author, but
> under a different email you may not want to change that.
>
> Andreas.
>

Thank you, Peff and Andreas. Indeed I never tried --reset-author before 
but it works fine for my problem, as the authorship/email didn't change 
between the commits. However, I personally think --date=now should work 
everywhere but if you don't like it I will definitely not insist on it. :-)

In case I _really_ need it, I could use sth. like
--date=$(perl -e 'print localtime').

Dirk