Subject: Re: git bisect code 125 - "WFT?"

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 07:55:06 +0100

Am 3/16/2011 23:06, schrieb Piotr Krukowiecki:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 10:36 PM, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Piotr Krukowiecki <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> Opinions? Would it be possible to change the meaning of the codes now
>>> (in 1.8.0)?
>>
>> How about just documenting why it is a bad idea to use 126 or 127 as you
>> found out somewhere, and stopping there, iow, without changing the code to
>> use 126/127 that we consider it is a bad idea to use and avoided using so
>> far?
> 
> Documenting it won't help. If you get 126 code, you won't know if user
> returned it to mark the code as bad, or if bash returned it to say
> that it can't
> execute a command.

Huh? Why should the user's script return 126 or 127, particularly if the
documentation says "don't do that"? Moreover, any decent (shell)
programmer will know that these two values are reserved by POSIX for
particular purposes (they are _not_ specific to bash):

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/V3_chap02.html#tag_18_09_01_01

-- Hannes