Subject: Re: [PATCH/RFD 0/2] revision.c: --merges, --no-merges and --merges-only

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 09:41:56 +0100

Junio C Hamano venit, vidit, dixit 18.03.2011 09:22:
> Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> From the ui perspective I'm somehow not a big fan of tri-state options
>> but can't give hard reasons why; maybe because they force you to use
>> option arguments.
> 
> But in this particular case, you cannot really hack it with two options
> that appear independent on surface but in reality are not. Logically, it
> is an enum <everything, non-merges, merges-only> and you can choose only
> one of them, and it is even worse from the UI perspective to use
> combination of two not-quite-independent options.
> 
> Also I have a hidden agenda to add "because we could" --show=octopus to
> the enum later perhaps only to my private edition ;-)

Now you're selling me that (tri++)-state!

git config alias.calamari 'git log --merges=octopus'

Surprisingly few call sites deal with the corresponding rev.foo so that
even those could be enumified... Stay tuned :)

Michael