Subject: Re: Summer of Code project ideas

From: "J.H." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 15:55:46 -0700

On 03/17/2011 04:40 PM, Jakub Narebski wrote:
> Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/SoC2011Ideas
>>
>> If you have any ideas, please add them to the page!
> 
> A few project ideas I am not sure if they are feasible for GSoC:
> 
> * merging-in support for caching in gitweb, and benchmarking/profiling
>   gitweb in high load situation
> 
>   J.H., you would probably want gitweb [output] caching to be merged-in
>   sooner that the end of Google Summer of Code 2011, isn't it?

I think the work needed to get gitweb-caching actually merged upstream
is going to be a slight bit messier than I'm willing to put a student
through, and couple that with the fact I'm going to be herding 2 or 3
students for kernel.org as already, I won't have enough time to try and
mentor a student through that quagmire.

Should a student be interested in the graphing stuff for gitweb, I'm
happy to make commentary and review things as they come, but that's at
best a co-mentor from me.