Subject: Re: Histogram diff, libgit2 enhancement, libgit2 => git merge (GSOC)

From: Vincent van Ravesteijn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 01:24:11 +0100

> b) Write a minimal Git client using libgit2. Peff keeps bringing this
> up and I think it's a bangin' good idea. Write something small and
> 100% self contained in a C executable that runs everywhere with 0
> dependencies -- don't aim for full feature completion, just the basic
> stuff to interoperate with a Git repository. Clone, checkout, branch,
> commit, push, pull, log. I would totally use that shit on my Windows
> boxes. And since it'll be externally compatible with the original Git
> client, we can reuse the Git unit tests to test libgit2. HA. Awesome!
>

I would dream of having a platform-independent GUI based on libgit2 
which could be used to manage a large project. Setup the workflow in the 
app, requiring only single  mouseclicks to promote a topic branch into 
the stable series. Have a button to merge all maint-branch-updates into 
the other branches. And more..

In order to come up with a possible workflow for our project, I have 
been checking out how Git is managed. I got a little bit disappointed 
that Junio uses some 'home-brewn' scripts for Git. I don't want to write 
them myselves (on Windows).

I'm happy to see that the 'vger' people are supporting libgit2.

Anyway, when I do have some time, I am willing to contribute to the 
libgit2 project.

Greetings,

Vincent