Subject: Re: Tracking file metadata in git -- fix metastore or enhance git?

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 12:01:14 +0200

Richard Hartmann venit, vidit, dixit 08.04.2011 02:29:
> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 21:27, Thorsten Glaser <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>> but seeing that people seem to want to use
>> git for keeping their /etc (I use RCS, myself, but volunteered my
>> C skill to change metastore if it needs be) there is definitively
>> a market for having it there, in a standardised manner.
> 
> etckeeper does exist and it's very useful.

While I think there is some consensus not to have attribs (besides x) in
core git, contrib/ may be a good place.

Note that etckeeper and metastore predate our notes feature. By now, a
notes tree is a perfect place to store meta information. You can attach
notes to blobs perfectly (see textconv-cache). That may be an option for
a reimplementation, depending on how you want the versioning of the
files to be related with the versioning of the meta data.

Michael