Subject: REMOTE_USER value propagation through http push

From: Axel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 11:48:51 +0200

Hello

I set up a git server with HTTP authentication with Apache through LDAP 
(Debian Squeeze + Apache 2.2 + mod_authnz_ldap).

I m using gitweb for browsing the repositories. At this moment, the 
commiter name appears to be the local user who called "git push". The 
username used for HTTP authentication is not used as commiter name, 
though the REMOTE_USER environment variable is defined.

After a quick look at http-backend.c it looks like the GIT_COMMITER_NAME 
variable should have been defined with the REMOTE_USER variable. Is this 
right ?

In Apache access logs, the REMOTE_USER appears to be defined in the last 
request of the push :

127.0.1.1 - - [13/Apr/2011:11:45:08 +0200] "GET 
/git/sandbox/info/refs?service=git-receive-pack HTTP/1.1" 200 467 "-" 
"git/1.7.2.5"
127.0.1.1 - - [13/Apr/2011:11:45:08 +0200] "POST 
/git/sandbox/git-receive-pack HTTP/1.1" 401 618 "-" "git/1.7.2.5"
127.0.1.1 - ldapuser [13/Apr/2011:11:45:08 +0200] "POST 
/git/sandbox/git-receive-pack HTTP/1.1" 200 353 "-" "git/1.7.2.5"

Is this behaviour expected ?

Thanks