Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Apr 2011, #04; Tue, 12)

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 17:21:31 +0200

On 04/14/2011 03:38 PM, Piotr Krukowiecki wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 12:43 AM, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> * mh/git-svn-automkdirs (2011-04-01) 1 commit
>>  (merged to 'next' on 2011-04-03 at 7fa4978)
>>  + git-svn: add an option to skip the creation of empty directories
>>
>> Should be safe, but I'd like an Ack from git-svn folks.
> 
> I wanted to test performance of this change - what's the best way to do it?
> 
> I tried some ideas, but rebase was too fast for performance measurements.
> I did not have new commits, but just some old, already in trunk changes, which
> I tried to rebase - probably it was just fast forward?

The unhandled.log.gz file for trunk of our main project is 14 Mb and
uncompresses to 233 Mb.  About 90% of it consists of svn:mergeinfo
properties for file that were copied or renamed within the repository;
most of the rest is other random SVN file properties.

With such a huge unhandled.log file, "git svn mkdirs" took about 10s for
me.  I believe that "git svn rebase" should take at least as long, even
if it is a fast-forward.

Michael

-- 
Michael Haggerty
[email-masked]
http://softwareswirl.blogspot.com/