Subject: Re: textconv not invoked when viewing merge commit

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 21:35:40 +0200

Jeff King venit, vidit, dixit 14.04.2011 21:28:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 12:26:18PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> 
>> Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> We just dump the binary goo all over the terminal. So I think the whole
>>> combined-diff code path needs to learn how to handle binaries properly.
>>
>> How would you show multi-way diffs for binary files?
> 
> No clue. But anything would be better than pretending it's line oriented
> and dumping binary goo to the terminal.
> 
>> It would probably be sufficient to say "binary files differ" at the
>> beginning of the patch-combining codepath of the combined diff, which
>> would at least keep the --raw -c/--cc output working.
> 
> Yeah, something like "binary files differ" would probably be OK for
> "-c". I think for "--cc", that is probably the best we can do, too. It
> is about condensing uninteresting hunks, but we don't even have the
> concept of hunks.
> 
> -Peff

I have "one half" of a partial fix cooking which applies textconv. Good
to see that I'm not the only who is surprised by the disjointness of
codepaths. That should give me some freedom to go wild in
combine-diff.c... But it's rc-time, we're devoting all git time to
regression fixes and cleanups, right?

Michael