Subject: Re: How to manage multiple repos using submodules?

From: Andrew Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 14:42:29 -0400

Thanks for the mail archives! They were a very good read.

The smaller projects I have are fairly independent, so there isn't a 
situation where a commit works well with the other commits. I just 
wanted some ways to split each project out to its own repo. So that when 
I want to do some git operations on one project, I don't have to worry 
about the other projects. While submodules isn't an ideal solution, it 
seems to be the closest. Maybe what I need from submodules is a way for 
the super-repo to not record the commit of the sub-repos. i.e. Just use 
the head of a branch. But if that's the case, maybe it's out of the 
scope of a SCM, since I'm not really tracking a history anymore.

I haven't tried it yet, but the mr tool you mentioned seems interesting 
too. I'll check it out.

Thanks!
Andrew

On 11-04-17 2:48 AM, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jonathan Nieder wrote:
>
>> Yep, if you want to keep track of the state of a bunch of repos over
>> time, submodules are not so bad[*].
> A kind person pointed out that I left out a footnote.  I think all I
> had been planning to say is that, roughly speaking, submodules are
> about[1] saying that a specific commit is known to work well with the
> rest of the code.  A supermodule like the one discussed in [2] is only
> likely to be useful if you are interested in what historical
> combinations of repositories were published and meant to work well
> together.
>
> Ciao,
> Jonathan
>
> [1] e.g., http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/27803/focus=27830
> [2] http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2009-September/001966.html
> --
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
> the body of a message to [email-masked]
> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html