Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] Add default merge options for all branches

From: Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2011 22:37:48 +0200

Am 03.05.2011 20:16, schrieb Junio C Hamano:
> Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]> writes:
>>> The need for this arises from the fact that there is currently not an
>>> easy way to set merge options for all branches.
>>
>> I'm curious: what merge options/workflows does this tend to be useful
>> for?
> 
> I actually am curious myself, too.  I want to see a real-life example.

At my dayjob the reviewer of a branch does the merge of a topic into
master. And to always record who did the review even if the merge is
a fast forward we use the "branch.master.mergeoptions=--no-ff" config
in all our repos, set by our installer.

But that doesn't work out of the box for our release branches, we have
to manually set stuff like "branch.v1.23-4.mergeoptions=--no-ff" for
every release branch in every clone where merges are done. This is easy
to forget and as we use git gui for our daily work, we can't simply use
the command line option --no-ff.

So we would greatly benefit from this patch (and actually I looked into
doing it myself some time ago but postponed it to do some submodule
stuff first ;-)