Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/1] Honor $(prefix) set in config.mak* when defining ETC_GIT* and sysconfdir

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 07:52:30 +0200

Am 5/3/2011 19:32, schrieb Junio C Hamano:
> Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Please do not set Mail-Followup-To!! It makes communication on this list
>> extremely inconvenient.
>>
>> Am 4/28/2011 21:27, schrieb Kacper Kornet:
>>> Definitions of ETC_GITCONFIG, ETC_GITATTRIBUTES and sysconfdir depend on
>>> value of prefix. As prefix can be changed in config.mak.autogen, all if
>>> blocks with conditions based on prefix should be placed after the file
>>> is included in Makefile.
>> ...
>> Does this patch do anything useful? After the patch is applied, sysconfdir
>> is set-but-not-used. Therefore, you can remove the assignments. But then
>> you lose the reference to $(prefix) that the commit message claims is so
>> important. Puzzled...
> 
> The only thing it does is to to allow you to set prefix in config.mak and
> then have it propaget to the selection of ETC_GITCONFIG (if prefix is /usr,
> then it is always /etc/gitconfig, otherwise it is always etc/gitconfig).
> The importance of prefix is not that the value is prefixed to ETC_GIT*,
> but it is used in the conditional to choose between the two.

Fair enough.

> We can get rid of assignments to sysconfdir in that sense. But you spotted
> a regression. If sysconfdir is set to somewhere else, even if you set prefix
> to /usr, we should set ETC_GIT* using the value given to sysconfdir.  The
> original code did so, but the patch lost it.

Looking closer, the patch introduces git_etcdir for no good reason, IIUC.
It should just re-use sysconfdir (the meaning of this variable is to point
to the etc directory).

-- Hannes