Subject: Re: git-p4 and keyword substitution

From: Luke Diamand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2011 20:29:55 +0100

On 06/05/11 18:26, Michael Horowitz wrote:
> All,
>
> I was wondering if there is a way to deal with this issue...
>
> It seems that git removes the keyword substitutions from Perforce.
> This is fine, except for the fact that it does not remove them from
> the p4 client shadow.  So, this causes git-p4 submit to fail whenever
> it either deletes a file with keywords (since the file it is deleting
> has the keywords and doesn't match) or lines close to the keywords
> change, such that applying the patch doesn't work.
>
> A Google search turned up a thread from a few years ago where someone
> submitted a patch to make removing the keyword substitutions optional,
> but I guess that patch never got accepted, at least not that I can
> see.
>
> Is there any other way of dealing with this?

I had exactly the same problem only yesterday, and found exactly the 
same thread!

I made a patch to git-p4 which zaps the RCS keywords in the perforce 
checkout if a conflict occurs.

I got as far as something which works if you just delete a line, but 
fails if you delete the entire file. And is a bit ugly.

I was going to ask the exact question you've asked though, to see if 
there's a better way.

Luke