Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] git-p4: add option to preserve user names

From: Luke Diamand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 May 2011 11:58:30 +0100

On 07/05/11 23:22, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Pete Wyckoff<[email-masked]>  writes:
>
>> [email-masked] wrote on Fri, 06 May 2011 06:25 +0100:
>>> On 06/05/11 06:07, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>>>> Luke Diamand<[email-masked]>   writes:
>>>>
>>>>> This is version 3 of my patch.
>>>>

<snip>

>
> So the only thing lacking at this point is the commit log message?
>
> I am not sure if the "actual user is luke" message you give when (and only
> when) preserveUser is used is a good "reminder".  Isn't it that the user
> needs reminder when the user should have used but forgot to use this
> option, not the other way around like your patch does?

I put that in so that when I'm at the point where I'm about to submit to 
Perforce I know that git-p4 hasn't forgotten that it's going to patch up 
the user name, and hasn't got it horribly wrong.

i.e. to reassure me it's not about to mess up Perforce.

>
> I suspect that the message would show an unexpected name only when the new
> codepath is buggy or the P4 changes the code is interacting are formatted
> in ways that the new codepath is not expecting (well, they amount to the
> same thing after all, no?),

Exactly.

(The submit template does have a userid field in it, but this is always 
*your* userid, which I thought might be a bit confusing. Hence the message).

> and having such a message may prevent users
> from submitting the changeset under an incorrect name, but at that point
> what recourse do they have?

Apart from not submitting the changelist, none.
>
> It looks to me that the message is not helping the users, even though it
> may help as a debugging aid for git-p4 developers.

Should I just remove it?

I guess it only adds a small amount of information which could be 
explained in the instructions.

Regards!
Luke