Subject: Re: [PATCH] Adds 'stash.index' configuration option

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 09:14:09 +0200

David Pisoni venit, vidit, dixit 12.05.2011 00:57:
> 
> Setting 'stash.index' config option changes 'git-stash pop|apply' to  
> behave
> as if '--index' switch is always supplied.
> 'git-stash pop|apply' provides a --no-index switch to circumvent  
> config default.

This is yet another incarnation of

foo.bar = true

meaning that command "git foo" defaults to "git foo --bar". (Admittedly,
this is about subcommands of foo.)

It has the same problems (possibly breaking scripts). But more
importantly, it inflates the code with every such incarnation we add.
Have we really agreed that we introduce these one-by-one rather than
doing something generic like

uiopts.<cmd> = <optionlist>

with which you would do

uiopts.stash = "--index"

and hopefully be script-safe (again, ignoring the subcommand issue)?

Michael