Subject: Re: fast forward a branch from another

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 17:31:33 +0200

Eric Frederich venit, vidit, dixit 12.05.2011 16:40:
> Often times I get into a situation where I have a "development" branch
> that gets ahead of say a "stable" branch.
> When I am ready to call the development branch stable this is what I do.
> 
> $ git checkout stable
> $ git merge development
> $ git checkout development
> 
> The problem here is that the act of going backwards (via checking out
> stable) really messes up my IDE and or Text editors.
> Is there any way to do this without switching branches, which modifies
> my working directory, which messes up my IDE?

I assume this is a ff-situation, i.e. stable is fully contained in
developement? then you can reset branch stable like this:

test 0 -eq $(git rev-list  --count ^development stable) && git branch -f
stable development

(I thought you could git rev-list --quiet but I'm too dumb :|)

Michael