Subject: Re: fast forward a branch from another

From: Phil Hord <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 12:58:32 -0400

On 05/12/2011 12:49 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Phil Hord <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I don't see this feature listed in the git push [REMOTES] section.  Is
>> it documented somewhere else?
> Both "git help push" and "git help pull" will tell you in the "Git URLs"
> section that a local file path is a way to name a repository.  Therefore,
> you can say "git ls-remote $(pwd)" to list the the refs from the current
> repository. If you are in git.git directory, "git ls-remote ../git.git"
> does the same thing, so does "git ls-remote .".
>
> These are merely specializations of more general "git push $path $refspec"
> and nothing noteworthy.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious to me.  I guess I was thinking of it
as a parallel to '-', as in 'git checkout -', and simultaneously
distracted by the surprise realization that one can push from/to the
self-same repository.

Phil