Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH 0/2] better handle .gitmodules merge conflicts

From: Marc Branchaud <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 11:01:09 -0400

On 11-05-12 05:01 PM, Jens Lehmann wrote:
> This series contains a test to reproduce and a first attempt to fix the
> problem that "git diff", "git status" and "git fetch" die early when the
> .gitmodules file contains merge conflict markers. As I am not aware of any
> bug reports yet it looks like that either doesn't happen very often in the
> wild ("git diff" parses the .gitmodules file since 1.7.3, but even as
> heavy submodule users we only hit this once just recently) or the users
> encountering this problem just know what to do: resolve the conflict and
> carry on.

I fell in the latter camp when I ran into this.

I like to examine conflicts with "git gui" but IIRC it doesn't display any
conflicting files when there's a conflict in .gitmodules (it won't even
display conflicts in other files, presumably because some plumbing failed
early on the .gitmodules conflict).  That was quite a "WTF?" moment...

> But that is no excuse to behave so unfriendly, especially as this can
> happen in a completely normal workflow, when e.g. two users are adding
> different submodules in separate branches and they get merged. So this
> RFC patch is my first attempt to avoid those commands dying.

Yup -- thanks for addressing this!

		M.