Subject: git & patterns

From: Ferry Huberts <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 12:48:34 +0200

Hi list

After reading the manual page for git describe it was not clear to me what
kind of pattern the --match option should take. Was it to be
a shell pattern (to be expected) or a regular expression pattern?

So I dug in the code to find fnmatch: shell pattern.

Now my question(s):
- could the manual page be update to make this explicit please? (plus
other manual pages talking about (shell) patterns)
- could git start taking regular expression patterns please?

I'm using the --match option on git describe to generate version
information from and matching against a regular expression is soooo much
more powerful and allows me to fully define my naming convention while
shell patterns do not allow me to do so.

Or am I missing something?

grtz

-- 
Ferry Huberts