Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] setup: Provide GIT_PREFIX to built-ins

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 09:23:42 +0200

Junio C Hamano venit, vidit, dixit 23.05.2011 18:43:
> David Aguilar <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> I guess external scripts can call rev-parse --show-prefix themselves?
> 
> That has always been the case, I think, and it shouldn't be a problem.
> 
> The real reason you want the new GIT_PREFIX for alias/hooks is otherwise
> they would not have a way to even say --show-prefix to figure it out
> themselves.
> 
>>> Overall I think it's a good change, btw. But it leaves it up to the
>>> (script) user to know whether git has actually changed the cwd or not,
>>> i.e.: Is $(pwd) where the user called us from or $(pwd)/$GIT_PREFIX?
> 
> As long as there is a way for a script to figure it out when it wants to
> know, I think it should be Ok.
> 
> Isn't it just the matter of reading --show-prefix and comparing it with
> what came in $GIT_PREFIX?

Yep, one is before and one is after any eventual cd'ing which git may
do. I just wanted to point out the difference. And the technical
difference (env var. vs. rev-parse option) is due to that difference
(and thus natural).

Michael