Subject: Re: [PATCH] Clarified how "git submodule add" handles relative paths.

From: Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 21:51:05 +0200

Am 02.06.2011 19:14, schrieb Junio C Hamano:
> I suspect that it would be a relatively easy fix if your toplevel
> superproject is its own authoritative upstream.  Something along the line
> of this patch, perhaps?  It is obviously untested, and we may want to
> issue an "echo >&2 'info:...'" to tell the user what we are assuming in
> this codepath.

Maybe it is better to not automagically switch from "path is relative to
url configured in superproject" to "path is relative to $(pwd)" depending
on the presence or absence of a default remote in the superproject. When
a user wants to set up his submodules relative to the superproject and
simply did forget to configure the url of the superproject first he won't
notice that anymore after this patch. But instead he will get a local
submodule url only to find out later that this was not what I wanted (and
an 'info' can easily be missed).

Now I understand this issue better I'd vote for leaving the relative url
like it is, comment it better in the man page and give a better error
message when that happens. After all this issue only surprised a few
people, mostly due to the lack of information in the error message and
man page, so I'd rather prefer to not change the behavior but the wording.