Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] submodule add: allow relative repository path even when no url is set

From: Marc Branchaud <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 17:23:23 -0400

On 11-06-06 05:00 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Am 05.06.2011 20:27, schrieb Junio C Hamano:
>>> If you think about "absense of the remote in the superproject means the
>>> project originates from here", what you are doing in step 3. is to
>>> changing the origin of these set of projects. After changing the origin of
>>> these set of projects, isn't "git submodule sync" an established way to
>>> adjust to the change? I was hoping that that would update .git/config in
>>> step 3. so you wouldn't have the problem in step 4. at all.
>>
>> Thanks for explaining that in detail, I think I do get it now.
> 
> I actually still have a feeling that I may be missing something from the
> discussion.  While I do like a solution that lifts existing limitation to
> allow workflows that were hitherto impossible, that only makes sense when
> the newly allowed workflow makes sense and useful, and when the lifted
> limitation was not protecting some silly mistakes from getting made.
> 
> I _think_ our last exchange gave me a fuzzy confirmation that we are not
> lifting a useful limitation, but I still do not know if the new workflow
> matches the workflow Marc (who kicked off this thread) wanted to use. I
> think it does match the set-up Phil Hord mentioned in an earlier message,
> though.

Well, Jens's changes do remove the error I encountered, and they also do what
I was expecting in the original context I was in when I started this thread.
 So I think this is a definite improvement.

There may still be a lingering niggle where git might do something the user
doesn't expect.  For example, git might create a submodule out of
git://origin/foo.git instead of the local ../foo.git.  You have to be paying
attention to git's output to notice that difference, and I could see where a
user might get tripped up.  But IMO improving this can be done independently
of Jens's patches.

		M.