Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] submodule add: allow relative repository path even when no url is set

From: Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 23:39:35 +0200

Am 06.06.2011 23:23, schrieb Marc Branchaud:
> On 11-06-06 05:00 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> Am 05.06.2011 20:27, schrieb Junio C Hamano:
>>>> If you think about "absense of the remote in the superproject means the
>>>> project originates from here", what you are doing in step 3. is to
>>>> changing the origin of these set of projects. After changing the origin of
>>>> these set of projects, isn't "git submodule sync" an established way to
>>>> adjust to the change? I was hoping that that would update .git/config in
>>>> step 3. so you wouldn't have the problem in step 4. at all.
>>>
>>> Thanks for explaining that in detail, I think I do get it now.
>>
>> I actually still have a feeling that I may be missing something from the
>> discussion.  While I do like a solution that lifts existing limitation to
>> allow workflows that were hitherto impossible, that only makes sense when
>> the newly allowed workflow makes sense and useful, and when the lifted
>> limitation was not protecting some silly mistakes from getting made.

That's why I started with an improved error message and documentation ;-)

>> I _think_ our last exchange gave me a fuzzy confirmation that we are not
>> lifting a useful limitation, but I still do not know if the new workflow
>> matches the workflow Marc (who kicked off this thread) wanted to use. I
>> think it does match the set-up Phil Hord mentioned in an earlier message,
>> though.
> 
> Well, Jens's changes do remove the error I encountered, and they also do what
> I was expecting in the original context I was in when I started this thread.
>  So I think this is a definite improvement.

Thanks.

> There may still be a lingering niggle where git might do something the user
> doesn't expect.  For example, git might create a submodule out of
> git://origin/foo.git instead of the local ../foo.git.  You have to be paying
> attention to git's output to notice that difference, and I could see where a
> user might get tripped up.  But IMO improving this can be done independently
> of Jens's patches.

Maybe Phil's opinion could be helpful here as he seems to be a heavy user of
relative submodule urls.