Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH 0/2] Add an update=none option for 'loose' submodules

From: Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 20:06:42 +0200

Am 06.06.2011 22:57, schrieb Heiko Voigt:
> If a submodule is used to seperate some bigger parts of a project into
> an optional directory it is helpful to not clone/update them by default.

I think this is a good idea as some people are running "git submodule
update --init --recursive" when they have to update their submodules.
It would be nice to have an option to skip certain submodules then.

> This series implements a new value 'none' for submodule.<name>.update.
> If this option is set a submodule will not be updated or cloned by
> default. If the user wants to work with the submodule he either needs
> to explicitely configure the update option to 'checkout' or pass
> --checkout as an option to the submodules. I chose this name to be
> consistent with the existing --merge/--rebase options.
> 
> What do you think about this approach?

It fits in nicely with my long term plan: Let the "update" flag
control what happens on submodule checkout in the work tree. Another
flag ("init"?) can be added later to control if a submodule should be
initialized on clone or update, but that is outside the scope of this
change.

> If we agree that this is the correct way to approach this use case I
> would proceed to implement tests and documentation.

+1 from me.