Subject: Re: [PATCH] rebase -i -p: doesn't pick certain merge commits that are children of "upstream"

From: Andrew Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 13:30:26 -0400

On 06/13/2011 12:01 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> There is no title to this test?
>   
Ah, that's embarrassing. I'll fix that. Thanks!

> In general I think it is wrong to change behaviour depending on which
> parent of a merge we are looking at (unless of course the user tells us
> to, like "git log --first-parent"), so in that sense philosophically I
> think the patch is going in the right direction, but I do worry about
> potential regressions.
>   
I totally agree.  Ever since Jeff brought up this issue, I've been
wondering what issue/workflow is that patch trying to fix.  If the
"todo" list doesn't change the parent of the merge commits, git should
be able to do a fast-forward on the merge, which means the merge won't
be rewritten anyway.  Just a wild guess: maybe back then, git will
actually rewrite the merge regardless?  Anyway, let's wait for a reply
from Stephen.