Subject: Re: Using Transifex in git.git

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 11:16:36 +0200

On 06/14/2011 07:57 AM, Ramkumar Ramachandra wrote:
> Hi Dimitris et al,
> 
> [+CC: Git List; for wider exposure]
> [+CC: Jonathan Nieder; he has been involved with translations in the past]
> [+CC: Junio C Hamano; for authoritative policy advice]
> 
> I think it's a good idea to use a system like Transifex to manage
> translations for git.git, so that we can attract a large number of
> non-technical translators.  Further, I think it's a good time to start
> off on this now, since many of the i18n bits from Ævar's series are in
> 'master'.  So, I'm looking to start off a discussion about how to
> adapt a translation system into our current patch workflow.  Dimitris
> is the lead developer of Transifex, and can help with the details.
> 

It's always better to start coding on changes and then show how those
changes make life easier for people than to suggest something out of
thin air and start a discussion about it before applying any work.

I for one have no idea what transifex is, how it works or why it's
superior to any of the currently existing tools to manage .po files.
I also have no real interest in translations, although I chip in a
bit with the swedish one when someone else does the grunt part of the
work to make it happen. I believe many here share that sentiment with
me, so you'd probably be better off doing a sales-pitch kind of mail
to the people who have contributed greatly to the actual translations
earlier so they can voice their opinions on what system they want to
use.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231

Considering the successes of the wars on alcohol, poverty, drugs and
terror, I think we should give some serious thought to declaring war
on peace.