Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] archive: support gzipped tar files

From: "J.H." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 12:25:17 -0700

On 06/14/2011 11:18 AM, Jeff King wrote:
> git-archive already supports the creation of tar files. For
> local cases, one can simply pipe the output to gzip, and
> having git-archive do the gzip is a minor convenience.
> 
> However, when running git-archive against a remote site,
> having the remote side do the compression can save
> considerable bandwidth. Service providers could always wrap
> git-archive to provide that functionality, but this makes it
> much simpler.
> 
> Creating gzipped archives is of course more expensive than
> regular tar archives; however, the amount of work should be
> comparable to that of creating a zip file, which is already
> possible. So there should be no new security implications
> with respect to creating load on a remote server.

Would it make sense to make this a little more generic and support bz2
and xz as well?

- John 'Warthog9' Hawley