Subject: Re: Copying Git repository from Linux to Windows.

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 14:41:58 +0200

On 06/15/2011 02:02 PM, viresh kumar wrote:
> 
> I got rid of them with core.filemode as false, but there is one more issue, as pointed out by
> Andreas. There are few files in kernel with same file name but in different _cases_ (one in caps
> and another in small.) and so i am getting issues with these now.
> 
> And don't have any idea how to get rid of that?

You can't. git dubs such filesystems as "retarded" and simply can't
work around it. Imo, that's the only sensible thing to do.

> And why does kernel have such file names at all?
> 

Because linux kernel developers are expected to work with linux
development work using linux and nowhere near enough find it an
actual problem for anyone to care about fixing it. Note that all
build-scripts and configuration stuff will have to be fixed as
well. Complaining about it on lkml will probably have very little
effect unless you're a very valuable contributor and/or lots of
other people chime in to agree with you.

If I may ask; Why do you need to be able to work with a linux kernel
repository on windows?

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231

Considering the successes of the wars on alcohol, poverty, drugs and
terror, I think we should give some serious thought to declaring war
on peace.