Subject: Re: git bash

From: Dirk Süsserott <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 16:39:12 +0200

Am 17.06.2011 16:18 schrieb Carlos Martín Nieto:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 03:52:55PM +0200, Massimo Manca wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I am using git on Linux Ubuntu, Windows Vista, , Windows 7 and Windows
>> XP (several o.s. to develop sw).
>> In my notebook under Vista if I use bash on mi physical HD (it is
>> divided in C:, F:, H:) it works, if I try to open a bash console on an
> 
> Assuming you mean that git doesn't work (rather than bash), could you
> provide a transcript of what you think went wrong?
> 
>> external HD (or USB or SD memories) and also on network shared drives it
>> doesn't work.
> 
> Are these filsystems FAT32 by any chance. You may need to turn on a
> couple of compatibility options like case-insensitivity and filemode.

But when using msysGit, these options are already set appropriate,
aren't they?

Sometimes I have a similar problem. What do you mean by "opening a bash
console on an external HD"? Do you right-click a folder and then "Git
bash (here)"? I don't use that feature but I always start the bash with
its regular icon (so my answer may probably not help you).  It then
starts in my $HOME and I change to the external HD (say X:) like so:

$ cd /x/foo

I noticed the following: When the ext. HD is attached/mounted *before* I
start the bash, then it works. But if I have a running bash and then
mount the drive, I cannot cd to it. "No such path" or sth. It seems,
that bash builds a list of available drives only at startup. Might that
be your problem? If so, then close all bashs and re-open them after
mounting the devices.

HTH,
Dirk