Subject: Re: ''git submodule sync'' should not add uninitialized submodules to .git/config

From: Phil Hord <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 19:06:31 -0400

On 06/23/2011 05:47 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Phil Hord <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> On 06/23/2011 10:35 AM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>>>> Now, when I run git submodule update, it starts checking out the third
>>>> module and my workflow is broken.
>>> See 33f072f (submodule sync: Update "submodule.<name>.url" for empty
>>> directories, 2010-10-08), which introduced this behaviour.
>>>
>>> cmd_update considers anything that has submodule.<name>.url defined as
>>> "the user is interested", so I suspect "git submodule sync" should not do
>>> this.
>> What about a compromise?  Change git-submodule-sync to skip submodules
>> which are not already initialized.
> You completely lost me. How's that different from reverting 33f072f? I do
> not see a room for "compromise" here.

Your patch does what I meant, so I assume you figured out my compromise.

My patch was simpler, but I haven't tested it properly yet.

Phil