Subject: Re: Nesting a submodule inside of another...

From: Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 00:04:34 +0200

Am 13.07.2011 23:27, schrieb Junio C Hamano:
> Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> It can't be communicated, as submodules are unaware of their superproject.
> 
> It's more like s/can't/shouldn't/ and s/are/shouldn't be/, no?

Right. Submodules /could/ be taught to check if they are part of a
superproject, but unless I miss something obvious they are currently
totally unaware of that (at least when it concerns their work tree, the
gitfile effort is trying to introduce some superproject awareness). And as
far as I can see that is a sound design decision as far as it concerns the
work tree. Imagine the files and/or directories a submodule has to ignore
would depend on the settings of their superproject too (which is what this
thread is about). That would lead to very interesting problems when the same
submodule would be used by different superprojects which ignore different
files and/or directories inside the submodule, which - to make things even
more interesting - might be recorded in the submodule itself ... not good.

So what about: s/can't/isn't and shouldn't/ and s/are/are and shouldn't/?