Subject: stupid git alias trick

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 17:06:29 -0600

Thought I'd share this one, in case anyone else finds it useful.

Every so often, I find myself typing "git ", then pausing while thinking 
of which command I meant to run (commit, rebase, push?), then realizing 
that I actually need to make more edits in my editor first.  On 
completion of that task, I come back to terminal and type "git 
blah<ENTER>" out of habit, not realizing that I'm not starting from an 
empty prompt.  Of course, "git git blah" is not a valid command, but if 
you have help.autocorrect configured, this ends up auto-correcting to 
"git init blah" instead, and while that often ends up failing due to 
unexpected arguments for 'git init', I've actually had scenarios where 
it succeeds at doing something, but certainly not the "blah" I had in mind.

But thanks to aliases, this is no longer a problem:

git config --global alias.git '!git'

and now, typing "git git blah" results in the execution of the git 
alias, which in turn runs "git blah" like I intended.  Yay for:

git git git git git git git git git git status

-- 
Eric Blake   [email-masked]    +1-801-349-2682
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org