Subject: Re: [PATCH 01/18] advice: Introduce error_resolve_conflict

From: Phil Hord <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 17:17:40 -0400

On 07/24/2011 02:15 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Still, I think I find it more readable without the comma, and better
>> still if every spot were converted to "hint: ". This question has come
>> up once or twice before, too, so I don't know that a patch removing the
>> commas would be out of line.
> Good to see that native speakers seem to think the comma there is funny.
I do, but I spent a fair amount of time finding out why before
complaining.  Wanted to make sure it wasn't a matter of taste.

"Please" is an adverb.  It modifies a verb or another adverb.  A comma
is used when the adverb is not adjacent to the target verb or adverb,
and in a few other odd conditions, none of which are met here.

"Please fix them up in the work tree."
"Fix them up in the work tree, please."
"Please, before committing these files, fix them up in the work tree."

Phil