Subject: Re: Special branch for remote

From: Phil Hord <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 10:35:21 -0400

On 07/27/2011 04:18 AM, Paulo J. Matos wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a huge repository for a software I am developing. In it I have
> source code, docs, experiments, tests, etc. However, I want to push
> only the src/ to the github remote, nothing else. What's the best way
> to achieve this. Do I need to simply create a new branch and then push
> the new branch to github or there's anything else involved that I need
> to know?
>

Yes, you can do this with branches. See [1] for an example of a similar
workflow.

You can also manage this with submodules [2] or subtree-merge [3].

I prefer submodules since it keeps the huge stuff (docs and bins) away
from my source code and makes my source code repo much more responsive.

[1] http://www.braintreepayments.com/devblog/our-git-workflow
[2] http://progit.org/book/ch6-6.html
[3] http://progit.org/book/ch6-7.html

HTH,
Phil