Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/3] check for unpushed remotes in submodules

From: Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 00:14:50 +0200

Am 28.07.2011 21:58, schrieb Junio C Hamano:
> Fredrik Gustafsson <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Regarding the discussion of superprojects with submodules that have no
>> remote tracking branches: A push will still be denied.
> 
> I have marked one part of the data synchronized across machines as
> "private" submodule (which contains my gpg keychains, encrypted password
> files, personaly memos, etc.) and push only the outer "shell" superproject
> (which has tools that I use everywhere to go to $HOME/bin among other
> things) to certain machines without the private parts, and the
> superproject is designed to work without a checkout (nor clone) of a
> submodule.
> 
> With this patch series, it sounds like I cannot use this repository
> structure anymore, which is sad.

Thanks for bringing this use case up. Now I understand why you asked if
submodules without remote tracking branches should be checked too. We
discussed that and couldn't think of a scenario where the user doesn't
want to have remote tracking branches in a submodule, but we missed the
use case you described here. Back to the drawing board ...