Subject: Site dependent repositories

From: "Stewart A. Brown" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 20:31:17 -0700

I am wondering whether or not git has the functionality to handle
my situation.

I have git repositories at multiple sites.  At each site the git repository
has site dependent sources.  Each repository is organised something
like:

top/a/local
       b
       c/d/extensions
       e

The directories top, a, b, c, d, and e have sources that need to be
pushed or pulled between the repositories at all sites.  The directories
'local' and 'extensions' have sources that must be managed within sites
but never pushed or pulled between sites.

The ignore mechanism will not suffice because the files in 'local' and
'extensions' must be source managed.  I have looked a bit into
submodules, filters, and hooks.  None of these jumps out as obvious, but
they are rich mechanisms with plenty of subtleties.

Does git have a way of letting me do this?

Stewart Brown
[email-masked]