Subject: Re: How to check out the repository at a particular point in time

From: Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 18:56:30 +0200

Am 22.08.2011 17:18, schrieb R. Diez:
> But that problem the daily build is trying to solve is precisely that it's
> too hard to keep track of all component versions in all repositories. Things
> just move too fast, and as far as I understand it, git submodules require
> manual intervention. If I ever tag anything manually, it must have already
> passed the daily build!

Submodules can easily be scripted too. Why don't you let your buildsystem
automatically create a commit with the current HEADs in the superproject
when building and testing all repositories was successful? Then each
developer can use one of those superproject commits as starting point and
happily hack away on a repository. And as a bonus he can see in the
superproject how many changes he did from the nightly build he started
with. And if he doesn't care, he can forget about the superproject until
he needs to sync again.

> The development model looks like this: the latest HEAD versions of all
> components should always work well with each other. If something breaks,
> the daily build will let the developer know by the next day. If two
> developers make incompatible changes, they'll speak to each other and
> commit their changes within a few hours. During that time, they will be
> trouble, but that's quite alright (at least for the moment).

You can decide later if you want to use the superproject to coordinate
such possibly conflicting changes, but that would mean your developers
would have to commit their changes in the superproject too.