Subject: Re: How to check out the repository at a particular point in time

From: Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 22:30:58 +0200

Am 23.08.2011 12:04, schrieb PJ Weisberg:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 2:17 AM, Thomas Rast <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>> I personally think that's crazy and -- if you want to avoid the work
>> of "really" using submodules -- support Jens's suggestion of having
>> the buildbot automatically assemble an "I tested this" superproject.
> 
> Or create a tag in each separate repository, using the same tag name
> to indicate versions that were tested together.  Or you could do the
> same with a branch, since a branch is basically a tag that moves.  You
> would just have to make sure only the buildbot updated that branch.

That would also work, but it might need some scripting. Probably having
some server side hooks to enforce the policy allowing no-one except the
buildbot to change those branches/tags would help here. Also submodules
would make it easier to see when they differ from the commits recorded
in the superproject, so a script running something like "git describe"
in all local repos and displaying the results might be a good idea to
get that information.