Subject: Re: [PATCHv2 4/5] branch: introduce --list option

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 11:24:47 +0200

Jeff King venit, vidit, dixit 07.09.2011 21:56:
> On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 04:37:04PM +0200, Michael J Gruber wrote:
> 
>> Currently, "-m -d" is forbidden", but "-m -v" is "-m", same for "-d -v".
>> Do we want to keep it like that? Probably. I'll add the tests to 4/5.
> 
> Yes, I think so. "-v" just means "be more verbose"; the fact that
> there is currently nothing to be more verbose about with "-m" and "-d"
> is irrelevant.
> 
> It does make me a little nervous about the "'git branch -v'
> automatically means 'git branch --list -v'" patch, though. It closes the
> door in the future to us being more or less verbose about branch
> creation details (and while helpful, it creates a slight inconsistency
> in the interface).
> 
> If we are adding "-l" anyway, is it really necessary? It's not much
> harder to do "git branch -lv" once that is in place.

Well, it will take a while to (re-)take "-l". For the sake of
consistency I wouldn't mind making "--verbose" strictly a "modifier" for
whatever mode/subcommand of the command is going on, even though it
would mean having to type "-v --list" for a long time. In general,
-v/--verbose should always be like that, but is not (e.g. tag -v).

This is in next now but no harm would be done changing it now.

Michael