Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Sep 2011, #04; Mon, 12)

From: Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 11:04:06 -0400

On 9/13/2011 3:51 AM, John Szakmeister wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 7:15 PM, Eric Sunshine<[email-masked]>  wrote:
> [snip]
>> Shouldn't the last entry be?
>>
>>         "*.m diff=objc",
>
> Or maybe not there at all?  We tend to do quite a bit with Matlab, and
> Matlab scripts also end in ".m".  Unfortunately, it bears little
> resemblance to Objective-C.

This default mapping is provided as a convenience only. Users can edit 
.gitattributes as needed. If we assume that the number of Macintosh and 
iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) programmers heavily outweighs the number 
of Matlab users, then the convenience of having .m in the default list 
may be justified.

It also is reasonable to ask if the "*.m diff=objc" mapping actually 
produces an inferior diff hunk-header[1] for Matlab files than when 
"diff=objc" is not present.

[1]: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/180103/

-- ES