Subject: Re: upgrading GIT from version 1.7.0.4 to 1.7.6.1.

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 14:49:53 +0200

On 09/19/2011 02:30 PM, Mikaël wrote:
> 
> 1- Is it possible to have two GIT installations pointing on the same 
> repositories?
> 

The core structure and layout of a git repository hasn't changed
since may 2005, so it should work just fine provided you use any
git version that actually has a version number.

We've upgraded in a hodge-podge fashion at $dayjob. One of our
servers is still running 1.4.something. We've never even come close
to anything resembling a problem. It's actually a bit weird, since
we started using git in late 2005 and it's so far been the most
reliable and backwards-compatible piece of software we have in the
company pretty much ever since.

> 
> 2- Do you have any suggestions, trips, hints and best practices in
> order to upgrade GIT in such a context?
> 

Since you have such high demands on problem-free migration, I suggest
setting up a repo server running the new git (on the server side) and
having some people test against the new git with both old and new git,
as well as testing new git against the old servers.

Just get a backup first. I'm 99.9999999999999% sure you won't need it
because of anything git does, but better safe than sorry, eh?

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231

Considering the successes of the wars on alcohol, poverty, drugs and
terror, I think we should give some serious thought to declaring war
on peace.