Subject: Re: How to use git attributes to configure server-side checks?

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 15:31:12 +0200

On 09/23/2011 02:49 PM, Stephen Bash wrote:
> We're in the process of a similar change over (we're dealing with EOL
> rather than indents), but I attacked it from a different angle...  I
> wrote our update script to examine modified files and ensure
> compliance (diff-tree -r, iterate over blobs).  That way legacy files
> are left alone (even in master), but active development must live up
> to the current rules.  Is there a reason you need to go tree-by-tree
> rather than file-by-file?

I want to avoid code churn, especially in third-party code.  With your
solution, I believe that we would be forced to entirely clean up any
file that we needed to touch.  The resulting code churn would make
integrating future upstream releases a nightmare.

For some kinds of checks, one could only check that the *lines* changed
satisfy the new rules.

But rather than thinking up workarounds, it seems like a better idea to
fix git to handle .gitattributes correctly.

Michael

-- 
Michael Haggerty
[email-masked]
http://softwareswirl.blogspot.com/