Subject: Re: More Beginning Git Questions

From: Jon Forrest <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 11:14:56 -0700

On 9/23/2011 10:42 AM, Jakub Narebski wrote:

> I recommend reading "Pro Git" book (http://progit.org)

I'm reading that too. I have some similar pedantic questions
about that book but I don't want to be a pest so I'll
stick with the tutorial now. Maybe some of my questions
about "Pro Git" will get answered.

>> Does this include both changes that Alice has checked in to
>> her repository and uncommitted changes in her working tree?
>
> Generally Alice shouldn't have uncommitted changes when doing
> "git pull".

That's what the tutorial said but I'm trying to understand
what happens if she does have uncommitted changes. I'm
trying to understand the total picture.

> When there is a merge conflicts, the index gets populated by more than
> one version: "ours" (i.e. Alice version) in stage 2, "theirs"
> (i.e. Bob version) in stage 3, and "base" (common ancestor version) in
> stage 1.  The stage 0, where "git add" / "git stage" puts contents of
> file, is empty.

I didn't know there were multiple staging areas.

> You can see it using "git ls-files --abbrev --stage".

That's very helpful.

Thanks to (almost) everyone who has responded. I'm hoping that
others new to Git will benefit from this discussion.

Jon